For developers and other technically-literate WordPress users, Amazon Web Services (AWS) can be a viable option for hosting your WordPress site. However, relying on Amazon for your WordPress hosting isn’t without issues.
Maintaining peak performance on an AWS setup requires a level of technical expertise, confidence, and dedication that most website owners just don’t have. For webmasters who simply want a “set-it-and-forget-it” solution, AWS isn’t a viable option.
Every day we encounter AWS clients who are looking for an easier hosting solution with more accessible support. Many also want to learn what makes Kinsta so unique.
We know that everyday WordPress and website users are looking for an alternative hosting solution to AWS that combines better infrastructure and performance, along with faster and better support. Kinsta provides all these and much more!
Mightycause is an online fundraising and donor management platform for nonprofits. While we have our own development team, we utilize WordPress for hosting our educational and blog content. Initially we self hosted on AWS but found it time consuming to manage updates and servers. After looking for a cost effective and turn-key solution we found Kinsta. Our engineering team had strict requirements for stability, speed, and maintainability. Kinsta checked the box on all of these and more! The move to Kinsta was really painless and quick, compared to other WordPress migrations we have done. They had one-on-one support to help us migrate from our AWS instances to their service. Since moving to Kinsta our team has been able to focus on our core product and not on managing a WordPress blog. We are beyond thrilled with the support and service we have received and recommend Kinsta to anyone running a WordPress blog.
How Kinsta Compares to AWS in a Nutshell
Kinsta’s infrastructure is fully containerized and powered exclusively by the Google Cloud Platform on Google’s Premium Tier network, enabling us to provide you with a large selection of the fastest data servers, incredible performance, server-level caching, dedicated resources, and enhanced security. Gone are the days of worrying about sharing resources with other sites, including your own!
All sites on Kinsta are protected by our enterprise-level premium Cloudflare integration, free for all customers. It includes a secure firewall, HTTP/3 support, DDoS protection, free CDN, and other benefits. You also experience transparent resource consumption, costs, and pricing.
We are also proud to be the highest-rated managed WordPress host on G2, the world’s leading software review and comparison site.
Feature Comparison Overview
Now that we’ve made it this far, let’s take a look at some of the biggest differences between Kinsta and AWS:
|Pricing||Plans start at $35/month||Plans start at $3.50/month for an Amazon Lightsail VM|
|Plan Tiers||21 (not including custom)||Not applicable (varies)|
|Premium 24/7 Support||✓||Support plans start at $29/month|
|Money-Back Guarantee||30 days on all plans||X|
|Global Data Centers||35||13 (Lightsail)|
|Performance Analytics||Included on all plans||X|
|Hosting Dashboard||MyKinsta||AWS Console|
|Early Hints Modern Web Standard||✓||Not specified|
|PHP Versions||PHP 8.0, 8.1, 8.2||PHP 8.0, 8.1 (can upgrade manually)|
|Free APM Tool||Kinsta APM||Not specified|
|Backups||✓ (6 types)||✓ (7 days)|
|Firewall Powered by Cloudflare||✓||X|
|Free DDoS Protection||✓||X|
|One-Click WordPress Installs||✓||✓|
|Kinsta CDN||260+ PoPs (All regions)||Amazon CloudFront (separate pricing)|
|Built-in Edge Caching||✓||Not specified|
|On-Server Reverse Proxy Support||✓||X|
|New Relic (license required)||✓||X|
|Uptime Monitoring||✓||✓ (Manually via CloudWatch)|
|Multilingual Dashboard||English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French, Swedish, Danish, Japanese||X|
Amazon Lightsail is a basic virtual machine or instance on a cloud server that covers most of the necessities for a basic WordPress site.
However, to even come close to creating a WordPress hosting environment like the one we’ve built from scratch at Kinsta, you would need a combination of AWS services like cloud storage, databases, a CDN, and several open-source solutions.
Enjoy a 26% Faster Website Simply by Moving From AWS to Kinsta
We measured 3,200+ migrations over the course of a three-month span. On average, client sites that came from AWS to Kinsta experienced 26% faster load times.
How is this possible? Our customers enjoy:
- The fastest Compute-Optimized C2 VMs and Google Cloud servers
- A stack that’s been fine-tuned for WordPress over the past 8 years
- Google’s Premium Tier Network to deliver website data faster
- Free CDN powered by Cloudflare’s global network of 260+ locations
- Built-in Edge Caching that cuts the time needed to serve cached WordPress HTML by an average of more than 50%!
- Containerized sites, meaning no more shared hosting/resources at any plan level.
- Early Hints feature, a modern web standard that can help immediately improve how quickly your pages load by providing additional information on what resources to preload, resulting in faster page rendering speed.
Migrate from AWS to Kinsta hassle free with our free expert migration service. With our 30-day money-back guarantee, you can test out the service and improved speeds completely risk-free. You only lose if you don’t give this a try!
Kinsta vs AWS
Let’s take a look at some of the major differences between Kinsta and AWS:
- Kinsta is a leading managed WordPress hosting provider that offers all-in-one solutions for managing your website and supports 35 data centers across Google’s global network. AWS is a cloud platform that is not specific to WordPress.
- The Kinsta setup is WordPress-optimized, which makes creating and managing your site simple and straightforward. With AWS, you need to set up and configure your own virtual machines, which is complicated and resource-consuming.
- Kinsta uses C2 compute-optimized VMs (GCP’s fastest servers) for all plans in supported locations. In our tests, we found that C2 VMs are up to 200% faster than GCP’s lower-tier machines.
- Kinsta includes everything you need to maximize website performance and security on each of our plans. With AWS, you are responsible for collecting, purchasing, and combining the tools together yourself.
- Kinsta is well-known for its world-class support, composed of WordPress experts and Linux engineers, available 24/7 for all our customers via live chat, with an average response time of under 2 minutes. We offer multilingual support across all of our plans, and our engineers are experienced and capable of solving any hosting issue on your WP site. AWS offers support only for server-related issues and requires you to pay extra for technical support (starting at $29 per month). In addition, AWS doesn’t provide WordPress-specific support.
- MyKinsta dashboard includes a variety of useful site management tools that are not available on AWS: database search and replace, free and built-in APM tool, free IP Geolocation manager, ionCube loader, PHP restart, one-click WordPress installation, staging features, and much more.
- Containerized Solution. Kinsta offers a unique infrastructure that containerizes site resources so they don’t have to share. This increases and levels your performance on a per-site basis. No more worrying about sites you don’t manage potentially stealing your resources. It also helps minimize your time spent troubleshooting performance issues as you no longer have to account for potential resource stealing.
- Because of Kinsta’s unique containerized hosting, you can also host multiple sites on multiple data centers, all within the same plan! No more having to pay for multiple servers just to host sites in different locations. Help your clients get an instant performance boost by simply hosting their site on a server that’s more appropriately located for their customer base.
- Kinsta has scored “top tier performance” for the past five years on Review Signal’s annual performance reviews. As AWS is a cloud provider and not a WordPress host, AWS isn’t involved in these benchmark tests. However, on Review Signal, AWS has an overall rating of 66%, a support rating of 55%, and an uptime monitoring rating of 98%.
- Transparent resources and pricing. Kinsta lets you know exactly what resources your sites have available. AWS plans can be complex and confusing.
- Kinsta plans include everything you need to maximize site performance and security, including premium DNS, uptime monitoring, and firewalls. AWS doesn’t provide any WordPress-specific security features.
- Kinsta CDN takes advantage of our Cloudflare integration and its worldwide network that spans almost 200 cities in more than 100 countries. We don’t need to know where you are to know there will be a Cloudflare server near you. That means lightning-fast server requests to your website. It’s available at no extra cost on any Kinsta plan. AWS, on the other hand, charges for CDN traffic on top of regular cloud storage and usage fees.
- Kinsta automatically performs weekly database optimization for all your sites, whereas with AWS, you’d need to take care of database optimization tasks yourself.
- Unlike AWS, Kinsta offers out-of-the-box ecommerce-optimized caching.
- Kinsta has a unique system that caches pages at the server level. Our built-in Edge Caching cuts the time needed to serve cached WordPress HTML by an average of more than 50%!
- Kinsta provides easy SSL implementation using free Cloudflare certificates, which aren’t provided with AWS.
- All Kinsta customers benefit from Google Cloud’s premium global tier network, which provides faster load times for your website visitors.
- Kinsta provides free, human-performed migrations with all of our plans, offloading you from the time-consuming website migration process.
- For developers and agencies, Kinsta offers a powerful local development tool called DevKinsta. With DevKinsta, you can clone and develop your projects locally and push updates to Kinsta when ready. WordPress multisite is also supported.
- Sites on Kinsta are equipped with a self-healing PHP feature. We monitor all sites on our infrastructure 720 times per day and offer an uptime guarantee.
- We offer six types of backups, including automatic daily backups. At AWS, you need to take care of backups on your own.
- Kinsta offers a 100% Malware Security Pledge.
- Kinsta has a very attractive affiliate program with recurring commissions.
- Kinsta has a 30-day money-back guarantee, while AWS doesn’t provide full refunds.
Kinsta Is Built for Performance and Scalability
If you’ve gone out of your way to set up a WordPress site with an IaaS cloud solution like AWS, you value performance. In that case, the last thing you probably want is to switch over to a shared host. That’s good news since what Kinsta offers is nothing like shared hosting.
Our hosting platform uses the Google Cloud Platform as its backbone — the first managed WordPress hosting provider to do so. Rather than standard shared hosting and VPS, we make use of the newest hosting technologies to provide cutting-edge infrastructure.
With GCP’s Premium Tier network, we ensure that the traffic to and from our customers’ sites is routed around the world as quickly as possible. When it comes to page load times and site performance, every millisecond counts!
High-performance virtual machines powered by the Google Cloud Platform form the foundation of our hosting infrastructure. Beyond that, our high-performance hosting stack consists of orchestrated LXC containerized software containers and LXD managed hosts and highly tuned configurations for Nginx, PHP, and MariaDB. Our unique containerized infrastructure allows sites hosted on Kinsta to automatically scale CPU and RAM usage in response to traffic surges.
As part of our Cloudflare integration, Edge Caching saves your Kinsta site/page cache to any of Cloudflare’s global network of 260+ data centers.
Edge Caching is included free with all Kinsta plans, doesn’t require a separate plugin, and cuts the time needed to serve cached WordPress HTML by an average of more than 50%!
“We monitored speeds of test sites and Kinsta’s network always produced one second faster load times than those hosted on AWS. In eCommerce, loading one second faster is everything, because user attention and conversions are directly correlated with this metric.”
Depending on the type of site you have, simply switching to Kinsta could result in a speed improvement of between 20% and 300%!
Kinsta’s managed WordPress hosting enhances your sites with the power, scalability, and speed of a distributed cloud infrastructure without having to set up and maintain complex virtual machine architecture by yourself.
Kinsta has allowed us to offer a bulletproof service to our top tier clients and keep them happy. Especially those who have traffic spikes with sudden server demand.
Kinsa Is Safe and Secure
At Kinsta, we know that the security of your data is of the utmost importance, which is why we’re dedicated to providing the most secure hosting service by taking a variety of active and passive measures to safeguard your site.
All sites on Kinsta are protected by our free Cloudflare integration, which includes an enterprise-level firewall with a custom ruleset and DDoS protection. With our Cloudflare integration, you’ll get the benefits of enhanced security and performance without having to manage your own Cloudflare account.
Some of Kinsta’s key security measures include:
- Monitoring sites every two minutes for uptime, 720 times a day.
- Rigid software-based restrictions to stop malicious code from entering your website.
- Real-time DDoS attack detection and mitigation.
- Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) support and automatic bans for IPs that have more than six failed login attempts in a minute.
- A dedicated Security Team to address malicious attackers, hacks, and exploits.
- Free Cloudflare integration with a secure firewall and built-in DDoS protection.
- Only support for encrypted SFTP and SSH connections (no FTP).
- Completely isolated containers (LXC), using LXD to orchestrate them so there’s no chance of cross-infection from other clients.
- Free Cloudflare SSL certificates with wildcard domain support.
- 100% Malware Security Pledge if your site is infected with malware while hosted on Kinsta.
- Automatic security checks for every plugin installed to discover vulnerabilities and/or security issues.
In the rare event that something were to happen to your site, our Malware Security Pledge means you will get hands-on assistance from our engineers free of charge. We’ll restore your site and make sure it’s free of backdoors that hackers can take advantage of.
Kinsta Is Developer-Friendly
We create a WordPress hosting solution tailored for developers without sacrificing ease of use. Everything from our custom dashboard to our products and tools is built to help improve your productivity.
Some developer-friendly features and tools you have access to as a Kinsta customer include:
- SSH, Git, and WP-CLI access on all plans.
- Custom setups like Bedrock and Trellis, as well as starter themes such as Sage.
- One-click WordPress staging environments that allow you to easily push changes from staging to production as well as conveniently clone your site.
- Run a different version of PHP for each live site and staging site, and switch between PHP engines takes just one click. We currently support 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2.
- Post and page revisions enabled by default. While we recommend limiting or disabling these, we believe this should be your choice.
- Load your site over a reverse proxy.
- Built-in free APM (Application Performance Monitoring) tool for troubleshooting WordPress performance issues.
- DevKinsta, a free local development tool.
- Restore backups to staging as well as production.
With Kinsta as your hosting provider, you have all the tools needed to manage your WordPress site, regardless of your technical knowledge. If you’re used to AWS’s high-performance Route 53 DNS, don’t worry: that’s what Kinsta uses as well.
AWS offers no restrictions in terms of access to your features. However, spending the time to manually set up a virtual machine and optimize it for WordPress on that platform is time-consuming, even for experienced users. At Kinsta, we make everything quick, simple, and effective.
Uncover Your Web App’s Performance Bottlenecks.
Our experts will run a free performance audit of your website or app and share the results within 24 hours.
MyKinsta: A Custom-Built Dashboard for Powerful Site Management
At Kinsta, we believe in empowering our customers with powerful features to make WordPress site management a breeze. MyKinsta dashboard is built with usability in mind.
With features like search and replace, force HTTPS, URL redirects with IP geolocation support, IP deny, Application Performance Monitoring, Edge Caching, Early Hints, Cron Jobs, PHP workers, and more, you have a wide array of powerful tools for managing your WordPress site. MyKinsta even includes a comprehensive analytics dashboard that provides insights into key site metrics.
Let’s look at some of the features that make our MyKinsta dashboard so powerful:
- Toggle between different PHP versions. Kinsta supports PHP 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2.
- Application Performance Monitoring tool that gives you all the necessary PHP and MySQL data to debug WordPress performance issues.
- High-performance object caching with our Redis add-on.
- Get detailed analytics on bandwidth and visitors, CDN usage, cache HIT & MISS rates, and more.
- Access to one-click staging environments and the option to restore backups to production or staging.
- Quick phpMyAdmin access.
- Automatic MySQL database optimizations.
- One-click ionCube enabler.
- Free Kinsta DNS (powered by Amazon Route53) to manage your DNS records directly in the dashboard.
- One-click CDN setup with Kinsta CDN.
- Purge the site cache directly from the dashboard.
- Redirect management with IP geolocation support.
- IP Deny tool that lets you quickly block IP addresses before they reach your site.
- Free automatic Cloudflare SSL certificates with wildcard domain support and the option to import your own.
- A toggle for enabling
- Password protection for your environment and the ability to strengthen login security by adding your SSH keys to the dashboard.
- The dashboard is available in 10 languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese, Swedish, Danish.
There’s no need to simply take our word for it, though. Schedule a live demo today and explore the user-friendly interface and plethora of tools to see firsthand what makes MyKinsta different from the competition.
Say goodbye to the limitations of the past and enjoy a revolutionary era where machines can seamlessly interact with our services. Kinsta API (Application Programming Interface) allows you to perform tasks on your Kinsta site without logging in to the MyKinsta dashboard.
What’s possible with Kinsta API?
- Reporting: seamlessly integrate Kinsta Services into your internal tracking systems and retrieve Kinsta analytics data effortlessly.
- Scheduled Tasks: create applications to schedule tasks, ensuring minimal disruption to your visitors.
- WordPress Site Creation: create a new WordPress site installation automatically and take control of your site’s functionality. You can also create WordPress Multisite installations.
Enjoy more automation than ever before on the Kinsta platform by taking advantage of Kinsta API.
Expert Support for WordPress
At Kinsta, we treat every customer as a mission-critical priority, whether you’re a solo entrepreneur, agency, or global enterprise. Our support team of WordPress experts is available 24 hours a day year-round, including holidays, weekends, and late nights (wherever you are).
We don’t rely on a tiered support system, which means we won’t waste your time with escalations and transfers. Whether you’re on our Starter or Enterprise 4 plan, you have access to the same team of WordPress experts.
Our agency has worked with all the major hosting platforms. Kinsta is crazy fast and the support is stellar! We moved all our clients to Kinsta and haven’t looked back.
In addition to multilingual support and resources available in over 10 languages, we’re also proud to maintain an initial ticket response time average of under two minutes!
Out of the handful of hosts and solutions we tested, Kinsta provided the best-in-class performance while reducing our team’s dependency on DevOps support — Kinsta’s support team is second to none.
With AWS, you need to pay extra if you want access to any sort of technical support, starting at $29 per month.
Free Performance Monitoring Tool
All Kinsta plans come with a free custom-built APM tool that can be easily accessed in the MyKinsta dashboard. Kinsta APM provides you with key WordPress performance insights and metrics without the need to pay for third-party subscriptions to other APM services.
With the information you get from Kinsta APM, you can debug and troubleshoot performance bottlenecks, These include:
- Slow WordPress plugins and themes.
- Long calls to external APIs and domains.
- Unoptimized MySQL database queries.
- PHP execution time
With Kinsta APM, you can use full stack traces to debug WordPress performance issues down to a specific line of code.
Amazon Web Services is a fully unmanaged service, so it doesn’t come with any built-in APM tools. You have the option of installing other APM tools on AWS servers, but the setup process is fully manual and often very complex.
Furthermore, after installing server-side APM packages, most services will require an expensive monthly subscription to read and analyze the data. With Kinsta APM, you get a custom-built performance monitoring tool specifically built for WordPress – for free.
Optimized for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads
As a managed WordPress hosting company, we understand the importance of a platform capable of supporting high-traffic, resource-intensive ecommerce sites. We also recognize the unique and demanding challenges that come with powering online stores. This is why we optimized our platform for WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
WooCommerce and other WordPress ecommerce plugins rely heavily on CPU performance because they cannot be efficiently cached. This is where our C2 compute-optimized VMs really shine with their industry-leading CPU performance. At Kinsta, we make C2 VMs available on all plans from Starter to Enterprise 4 and beyond.
Our expert engineers are very familiar with WooCommerce and have developed a custom workflow that optimizes performance. Some of the ways we enhance the WordPress ecommerce experience include:
- Excluding ‘My Account,’ checkout, cart, and other pages that shouldn’t be cached.
- Ensuring a smooth checkout process by automatically bypassing the cache for users when
- Implementing specific rules to allow EDD and WooCommerce functionality during server-level page caching.
Amazon Lightsail and other AWS services, on the other hand, do not offer ecommerce-optimized caching by default.
Develop Locally With DevKinsta
With DevKinsta, you can launch WordPress sites with a full hosting stack and SSL support on your local computer (macOS, Windows, and Ubuntu) with just a few clicks.
DevKinsta is fully integrated with MyKinsta and Kinsta’s hosting platform, so you can join the 45,300+ community members using DevKinsta to develop locally and push updates directly to a staging environment on Kinsta!
AWS doesn’t have an integration with a local WordPress development tool, which means there is no way to clone and push local WordPress sites for AWS customers.
If you’re a busy freelance or agency developer, DevKinsta’s advanced features (including multisite support) and MyKinsta integration can be a huge time saver.
Free Migrations From Real People
Whether you want to move one site or 100, Kinsta provides hassle-free migrations that are handled by our skilled WordPress experts. You won’t have to deal with complex technology or risk losing critical data.
If you’re interested in moving your site to managed WordPress hosting, we offer unlimited free migrations from AWS! Our migrations are performed by an expert migrations engineer.
I am pleasantly surprised at the ease and speed of setting up WordPress with Kinsta. I love the staging environment and the deployment to production!
To get started, simply complete our site migration request form, and our experts will reach out to schedule a time. Then you can track the migration’s status directly from your MyKinsta dashboard.
No AWS services offer free migrations of any kind. Paid migrations are only available through third-party consulting companies.
Turbocharging Your Content Delivery With Kinsta CDN
In addition to free bandwidth, all Kinsta plans include a free Content Delivery Network (CDN). This is a premium HTTP/3-enabled CDN to deliver your content lightning-fast across the globe.
As part of our Cloudflare integration, our built-in Edge Caching saves your Kinsta site/page cache to any of Cloudflare’s global network of 260+ data centers.
When site visitors load your website in their browser, cached responses will be delivered from the location closest to them. Edge Caching is free with all Kinsta plans and doesn’t require a separate plugin.
Our content delivery architecture was tailor-made for high throughput and low latency. You can enable the CDN directly from your MyKinsta dashboard.
Agency Partner Program
Kinsta has an Agency Partner Program specifically designed for agencies looking for a powerful and secure hosting platform with minimal overhead. After joining our Agency Partner Program, your agency will be able to focus on developing client projects and expanding your business while we handle the hosting side of things.
Our Agency Partner Program also comes with a number of perks:
- Free hosting for your agency site on a Kinsta Pro plan (a $70/month value).
- Unlimited free migrations for your client sites.
- White-label our cache-clearing plugin with your agency’s logo and branding.
- One month of free hosting, so you don’t have to worry about paying for two hosting plans while migrating your client sites to Kinsta.
As a member of our Agency Partner Program, all your client sites will receive the same level of support, features, and tooling offered on our normal plan tiers!
Get Your Applications and Databases Live Quickly and Seamlessly with Kinsta’s Cloud Platform
With our cloud platform, you can:
- Avoid complicated infrastructure setup, product lines, and control panels
- Deploy right from GitHub in minutes
- Enjoy internal connections between your app and database without row or query count limits
- Host apps with your favorite languages, frameworks, or custom Dockerfiles
- Choose from 25 data centers
- Contact expert support 24/7/365
Don’t take our word for it. Test it yourself for free! Your first $20 worth of server resources are on us.
Affiliate Program With Recurring Commissions
Kinsta is constantly exceeding our client’s expectations. Our satisfied customers are eager to spread the word about our products and services, which has helped us become one of the fastest-growing hosts in the industry.
For every referral of Managed WordPress Hosting, you earn both:
- An initial one-time bonus, between $50 and $500, is calculated based on the plan of the customer.
- A 10% monthly recurring commission is paid every month for the lifetime of the customer. The 10% is calculated out of the plan’s monthly fee (discounts applied). Add-ons are not included.
For every referral of Application Hosting and/or Database Hosting, you earn a 5% recurring commission every month for the lifetime of the customer. The 5% is calculated out of the customer’s monthly invoice (discounts applied).
This is a powerful opportunity to earn a passive income!
To make the Kinsta affiliate experience even more enjoyable, we custom-built our own easy-to-use affiliate dashboard. Therefore, you won’t have to deal with complicated or confusing third-party platforms.
AWS does not currently offer an affiliate or referral program and is not included in Amazon Associates.
Join Others Making the Switch to Kinsta
At Kinsta, we offer the fastest, latest technology possible. We’re constantly evolving and adapting to leverage the most innovative solutions available. You can see for yourself simply by checking out our feature updates!
We are confident in our solutions and want you to be 100% satisfied with your hosting, which is why we offer a 30-day money-back guarantee and free migrations from AWS. It’s time to move away from AWS and switch to our managed WordPress hosting platform.